There are two different types of graduate visas available. Depending on your profile will depend which visa will best suit you.
Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
- be under 50 years of age
- have the required level of English proficiency i.e.
- an IELTS overall test score of at least 6.0 (with a minimum of 5.0 in EACH test component) OR
- an OET test score of at least B in EACH test component OR
- a TOEFL iBT overall test score of at least 64 (with a minimum of 4 for listening, 4 for reading, 14 for writing and 14 for speaking) OR
- a PTE overall test score of at least 50(with a minimum of 36 in EACH test component) OR
- a CAE test score of at least 169 (with a minimum of 154 in EACH test component)
- have made adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia
Subclass 485 – Graduate Work Stream
This stream of the 485 visa is generally for applicants who have completed one or more Vocational qualifications (trade qualification, Diploma or Advanced Diploma).
Skills and Qualifications
- nominate an occupation that is included on the Medium and Long-term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
- have applied to have your skills assessed by the appropriate Australian skills assessing authority as suitable for your nominated occupation
- in the last 6 months have completed one or more qualifications that are closely related to your nominated occupation, following at least 2 years of study in Australia
A visa in this stream is generally granted for a period of 18 months
Subclass 485 – Post Study Work Stream
This stream of the 485 visa is specifically for applicants who have completed a Higher Education (university) qualification.
Skills & Qualifications
- At the time that you lodge your visa application, you must during the previous 6 months have completed one or more of the following qualifications at an educational institution in Australia, following at least 2 years of study:
- bachelor’s degree (with or without honours)
- master’s degree (by coursework or research)
- master’s extended degree
Initial Student Visa
You must have applied for (and been granted) your FIRST Australian Student visa on or after 5 November 2011
A visa granted in this stream is valid for 2, 3 or 4 years, depending upon the level of the eligible Australian qualification(s)